How To Get a Concealed Carry Permit in Louisiana
In 2016 Spillway Sportsman has been selling a lot of handguns for personal defense. The Louisiana State Police (LSP) is taking a while to process applications as well due to the extremely high demand. Below are the steps you will need to take to get a concealed carry permit in the state of Louisiana.
- Take a Concealed Carry Class. This is given by a certified firearms instructor who will offer instruction on safe firearm handling, concealed carry law, use of deadly force, child access prevention, and more. We offer this training here.
- Get fingerprinted. Call your local police office, sheriff’s department, or Louisiana State Police HQ in Baton Rouge for fingerprinting. LSP HQ is located at 7919 Independence Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70806. Prints must be submitted on an FBI Applicant Fingerprint Card.
- Complete the Concealed Handgun Permit Registration. This can be done one of two different ways. You can do it online here https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/ OR Print it, fill it out and mail it. To do that, fill out this application. http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chApplication.pdf. *See notes below
- Submit all info to Louisiana State Police’s Concealed Handgun Permit Unit.
Note: Regarding the Concealed Handgun Permit Application: Be sure to answer all questions correctly, especially the medical conditions and arrest questions. The LSP notes here that:
- Read the arrest question carefully, as you must list all arrests, summons, and citations (except speeding citations) even if listed on a previous application. You must provide a certified true copy of all arrest dispositions with your application.
- If you listed a medical condition you must have the treating physician complete the medical summary form before submitting your application.
- If you are currently subject to a protective or restraining order you must provide a certified true copy with your application.
Other helpful information:
LSP has a direct phone number for concealed carry information. 225-925-4867
During the firearms course you must demonstrate competence with a handgun.
Louisiana concealed permits must be renewed every 5 years unless you get the lifetime.
After you are completely ready visit our gun store to select a handgun. We can help you with this selection if needed.
The address to mail permit information to is here:
Louisiana State Police
Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
PO Box 66375
Baton Rouge, LA 70896